The Nabateans occupied the site in the sixth century but were strongest between 400 and 200 BC and were responsible for the carved buildings. People lived in the natural caves for centuries but these carved façade’s came during the Nabatean era. After wars and earthquakes the site was abandoned and re-discovered in 1812 by Johann Burkhart a Swiss sent by the British Foreign Office to prepare for an expedition. He published his finding after his death in 1829 and that began the continuing efforts on the sites.
One thought on “Petra”
How big is the interior of the Treasury?